Author Topic: This bodybuilding thing  (Read 5724 times)

Flexb

• Gold Member
Re: This bodybuilding thing
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 02:57:01 PM »
Negative. I met her through the bodybuilding circles in 2005.

I think if she never got involved in this sick nitro circus she would be using her college degree and she would have found a way to be competitive using her natural athletic ability but at the same time more grounded.

This lifestyle isn't for everyone. Just recently I heard the last girl I dated who had delusional aspirations of winning a pro card in Figure is about to start dieting to compete again. This is a girl who literally brought herself to suicide attempts because her abs weren't striated...and she's going to compete again. After we dated she said she was officially "retired" and she was just going to train, look good, feel good and be healthy. She got a new job, a new boyfriend who is not a bodybuilder and a new life. Now she's going to compete again. Words cannot express the sorrow I feel for these two. They just refuse to believe it.

- Block!

Holy shit, I think I know who you mean. NJ? And yea, she's fukin crazy nuts
BodybuildingContestPrep.com | For Winners Only

Gordiano

• MW Founding Father, Amatuer Bowler, NPC Competitor
  • Gold Member
  • "Only gay if you want it to be...."
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2010, 02:56:43 AM »
thats a fcked up story. the lifestyle obviously isnt an improvement for everyone. where do you think she'd be if she didnt get involved in bodybuilding? did you know her before she got involved in the industry?

I suppose it's like anything else. Taken to the extreme, it really can ruin you.  :'(
"My mother was a whore in Bangkok that met my Dad while he was trying to fuck underage chicks.  My mom was already 16 at the time but she could pass for a 12 year old." - Tbecks

INSOMNIA

• we're all mad here..
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 03:31:14 AM »
I suppose it's like anything else. Taken to the extreme, it really can ruin you.  :'(

yep. at the end of the day, its about the person who already has issues..  :-\

Mike Hunt

• Big Nation Radio Returns: March 2012(13)(14)
  • Gold Member
  • Taking dating advice from Toxie
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:31 AM »
Sobriety is only as hard as you want it to be. Trust me I spent many years struggling with it, almost died until I realized the only way I was going to be ok was to stop fighting it and stop worrying about the stupid minor shit in life, which brings me to bodybuilding.

All those years I was doing the above I was on and off in the gym trying to be the lifestyle, mostly on.

I love working out, love it. I also figured out especially the past year that if I eat clean 80% of the time, dont worry about the mnor shit like meal timing etc I am less stressed and I am slowly going towards the best shape of my life.

it won't be bodybuilding competition style in shape, but who cares about that. I enjoy a pretty busy and balanced life and get to the gym 4-5 times a week for 60-90 minutes total(closer to under 60 for the most part), I eat probably 3 good meals and a couple of snacks and have gone from 260 very unhealthy bulky lbs to 225 today while putting almost an inch on my arms and taking several inches off my waist. And if I don't feel like training hard or heavy that day, I just fucking dont. As a result I have been more consistent than I ever have been in my life, go figure. I volume train for the most part but get more sets done in an hour for a bodypart and the minor ones then most guys sitting there timing everything, fucking around with the details and staying at that 225 bench for years on end

I think stressing about all this shit is the real cause of catabolism and low test. I would rather be in half decent shape today then try to fit in 6 meals a day that I have to prep etc, and carry around some stupid bottled water everywhere.

I am almost 2 years sober and this is directed at flex B, you can take all the mest and see all the doctors you want but you need to get off your ass and get over the hump period, sitting around thinking about it will not make it better. I say this from personal exp and the many people I have met who are sober that take that god's will thing too literally to mean that they should just sit around and wait for shit to happen. I learned in treatment to have 5 things on a personal, inner and outer level type of goals every day and write sdown where you want to be a year from now, then go lut and live and in a year you will look back on these posts and think what the fuck was I thinking back then.
Good luck and congrats on the sober

My name is andrew and i am a recovering bodybuilding douchebag
Sex Nuts and Retard Strong

BigPimpin

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 09:29:56 AM »
Sobriety is only as hard as you want it to be. Trust me I spent many years struggling with it, almost died until I realized the only way I was going to be ok was to stop fighting it and stop worrying about the stupid minor shit in life, which brings me to bodybuilding.

All those years I was doing the above I was on and off in the gym trying to be the lifestyle, mostly on.

I love working out, love it. I also figured out especially the past year that if I eat clean 80% of the time, dont worry about the mnor shit like meal timing etc I am less stressed and I am slowly going towards the best shape of my life.

it won't be bodybuilding competition style in shape, but who cares about that. I enjoy a pretty busy and balanced life and get to the gym 4-5 times a week for 60-90 minutes total(closer to under 60 for the most part), I eat probably 3 good meals and a couple of snacks and have gone from 260 very unhealthy bulky lbs to 225 today while putting almost an inch on my arms and taking several inches off my waist. And if I don't feel like training hard or heavy that day, I just fucking dont. As a result I have been more consistent than I ever have been in my life, go figure. I volume train for the most part but get more sets done in an hour for a bodypart and the minor ones then most guys sitting there timing everything, fucking around with the details and staying at that 225 bench for years on end

I think stressing about all this shit is the real cause of catabolism and low test. I would rather be in half decent shape today then try to fit in 6 meals a day that I have to prep etc, and carry around some stupid bottled water everywhere.

I am almost 2 years sober and this is directed at flex B, you can take all the mest and see all the doctors you want but you need to get off your ass and get over the hump period, sitting around thinking about it will not make it better. I say this from personal exp and the many people I have met who are sober that take that god's will thing too literally to mean that they should just sit around and wait for shit to happen. I learned in treatment to have 5 things on a personal, inner and outer level type of goals every day and write sdown where you want to be a year from now, then go lut and live and in a year you will look back on these posts and think what the fuck was I thinking back then.
Good luck and congrats on the sober

My name is andrew and i am a recovering bodybuilding douchebag

This is the most insightful post I've read here. Everyone here should re-read their posts. You'll discover that bodybuilding isn't the issue. It's just what you chose to heal bigger issues in your life.

Master Chief

• Banana Fan
  • Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • MuscleWeek: Bodybuilding. Truth. Hurts.
    • MuscleWeek
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 09:43:33 AM »
Good stuff!
Destiny

Flexb

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 09:48:35 AM »
AndrewB40, while I agree with a lot of that post, decreasing test is a fact of life that we have to face at one time or another. It can affect your mental state along with a lot of other things. But for the record, I have been training the past 2 weeks consistantly and feeling much better as a result. I've some how managed to make getting up at 4am and going to the gym for 4:30am work so far which is pretty insane.

Mike Hunt

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2010, 10:03:07 AM »
good to hear that flex

The test and catabolic stuff i dont think stress is the only cause, but it is one of the main contributors.

Thats where bodybuilding is lost too, watch something like pumping iron and even last week I was speaking to an old timer at my gym who used to compete back in the lates 70's and 80's and he is like the nicest gentleman and in fanatastic shape still and like back then those guys got along, partied together and had fun when they werent in the gym. They competed more for the challenge and worked etc and lived.

He said competing was him and hid buddies back then because they did all kinds of stuff together in and out of the gym, he says today its all drugs and insecurity, and nobody is friendly anymore unless they are trying to get something from you if they are competitors.

I think that on boards like this yeah the dark side is looked at with scorn and more realism but with that we can talk about what we enjoy and support each other and have more comraderie rather then talk about some dickhead who doesnt give a shit about himself or anyone else getting robbed at some IFBB or Npc show.

Flexb

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2010, 10:49:14 AM »
Yea, the gym these days is full of morons. Hence why I go at 4:30am now. There's nobody there and I can focus on working out rather than a couple groups of goofs staring me down. When I was younger, the gyms I went to always had cool people there that worked hard and it was easy to form friendships. I've been training at this one gym on and off, and other than a really nice old man, I don't speak with anyone there.

And yea, the camaraderie isn't there anymore. The guys are so fuking insecure with their wife beaters, cell phones, geled up hair, sporting the ILS walk. They hate on anyone bigger than them that they don't already know. These guys aren't big at all and I rarely see an actual bodybuilder or someone working out hard these days.

banner

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2010, 10:51:36 AM »
Block, do you know Timmy Lamatty?

Blockhead

• Muscleweek's H.N.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Live Loud!
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2010, 11:17:37 AM »
Block, do you know Timmy Lamatty?
If we have the right person here. The only meathed n Chicagoland I know with a name close to that is Tom LaMantia. I know people who know a Tim LaMatty from Iowa if that's who you mean.

- Block!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:53:47 PM by Blockhead! »
...because sometimes NOT being a bodybuilder means doing the right thing.

Mars

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2010, 04:19:33 AM »
you used to be someone i could trust

really?

• MuscleWeek: Bodybuilding Message Board
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2011, 02:00:47 PM »

I keep my car clean. That sounds weird and obnoxious but there is meaning behind it. I keep the upholstery vaccumed, the vinyl Armorall'd(sp?) and NOTHING in it. Nothing. In the trunk is my spare tire. A gallon of water. A small tool box and a blanket. NOTHING els. Nothing.

I am sure banner, you will be able to see what I am saying talking about my car. Most others will think I'm talking out of my ass.

- Block!

Ok Block what did you mean by this?

BigPimpin

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2011, 02:24:53 PM »
I'm sure eveyone's lifelong issues will improve once they stop bodybuilding.

It's can't be that any of us were douches with issues who happened to become bodybuilders. It was bodybuilding that made us douches.

NZMuscleMonster

• MW Director of Complaints
  • Gold Member
  • Twink-in-Residence
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2011, 04:45:18 PM »
Yea, the gym these days is full of morons. Hence why I go at 4:30am now. There's nobody there and I can focus on working out rather than a couple groups of goofs staring me down. When I was younger, the gyms I went to always had cool people there that worked hard and it was easy to form friendships. I've been training at this one gym on and off, and other than a really nice old man, I don't speak with anyone there.

And yea, the camaraderie isn't there anymore. The guys are so fuking insecure with their wife beaters, cell phones, geled up hair, sporting the ILS walk. They hate on anyone bigger than them that they don't already know. These guys aren't big at all and I rarely see an actual bodybuilder or someone working out hard these days.

Once every 2 weeks I'll train at peak time in the afternoon and see those kind of homo's you are talking about. Little boys lost in a man's world. They walk round with their serious faces and chest puffed out..... They have no idea how ridiculous they look.
I'm the new BOSS, Applesauce! If you have a complaint with MW please email me at HurtVagina@MuscleWeek.com!

Blockhead

• Muscleweek's H.N.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Live Loud!
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »
Ok Block what did you mean by this?
I mean that during my days as a bodybuilding douche it meant I was a major procrastinator.

I never ever washed my car, took out the old crusty tupper ware or crustier shaker cup bottles, empty Isopure bottles, garbage, food wrapper etc.

I didn't have time. To spend 20 minutes doing that was catabolic. It was a metaphor of how my life was in total shambles and my priorities were in complete reverse.

Now? I keep things clean and in check like the rest of my life. No more livivng like a ghetto superstart slumdog with my protein intake as the reason to justify it.

- Block!

really?

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2011, 01:56:19 PM »
I mean that during my days as a bodybuilding douche it meant I was a major procrastinator.

I never ever washed my car, took out the old crusty tupper ware or crustier shaker cup bottles, empty Isopure bottles, garbage, food wrapper etc.

I didn't have time. To spend 20 minutes doing that was catabolic. It was a metaphor of how my life was in total shambles and my priorities were in complete reverse.

Now? I keep things clean and in check like the rest of my life. No more livivng like a ghetto superstart slumdog with my protein intake as the reason to justify it.

- Block!

Kind of what I thought you meant. It really is amazing how much simpler life gets when you get back to 3 meals a day + a 25g shake and something tasty before bed. No more packing the cooler to take to work and trying to carry 10 things in the door every day. No more stopping to eat every 3 hours and piss every 20 minutes. I get 10x the work done now and look and feel better than ever.

No more running to the store to get chicken unexpectedly --coming home cooking and cleaning up (wasting a good 1.5 hours) because the diet clearly states 6oz of chicken for meal 17 !"

Mike Hunt

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »
I am glad that this thread got bumped because i saw what i wrote(under my old handle) about life and coming back to this thread and thinking "what the fuck was I thinking" a year later. I can honestly say looking at this today that i can see what I have done right in my life and what I have not changed.

The last couple weeks I had come to realize very painfully that I have allowed other things to come into my lofe and distract me on the road I should be on.

Aside from being still sober(2 and a half years as of valentines day) I have been acting like a wuss, a bitch, nasty and a total victim lately.

Like block says about the car, it goes deeper then that. Look at your home for example, each day will start and be determined how you are keeping your home life, like the simplicity of making your bed, keeping things tidy.

If those simple things become cluttered, the rest of our life will surely follow.

Still a recovering douche

Blockhead

• Muscleweek's H.N.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Live Loud!
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »

I agree. It all starts with simplicity. Learning and getting into new habits. Making a commitment to being orderly and solid.

There is much power to physically picking up a PEN and writing down on paper a list of daily goals, monthly goals etc... and just doing it. Crossing each off as you go along.

My new art of saving money is working well for me. I pick 2 days out of the week where I challenge myself not to spend a single penny. Not one single penny.

Before? I'd waste every penny I had on steak & chicken. I would waste money I didn't have on food and supplements because I kept swearing I was still just a month away of solid eating and seriously supplementation away from "looking how I want to look".

I told you all before. I was very close to tattoo'ing OVERCOME on my forearm in 2004.

- Block!

Mike Hunt

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »
Right on Block,

The first time I went to rehab(took 3x to get it through my head that I could not drink or do rec drugs socially lol) they pointed out the importance of making our beds in the morning, basically the day starts there.

have that attitude and everything follows

the goal thing I have been pretty good at the last 2 and a half years, and each time my goals come up(my yearly ones are right now as I have them start the same time as my fiscal year at work) I have achieved or come within 80-90% of that goal, which is 80-90% more then I would not have done had I not written them down and had a plan.

thing is my goals this year will have more to do with the inner being and how i communicate with others and mostly myself, ie an attitude adjustment. Really though that is the original intent of the bodybuilding lifestyle, that you build your body mind and attitude in a good positive way and use those strengths to improve other ares of your life, and the lives of others.

It's ok to compete in sports, bodybuilding or whatver, hell its ok to eat as many goddam meals as you want, but not at the expense of the important things in life. Wanna go the extra mile with workouts for a month or 2 a year to challenge yourself? fine, but work it into your schedul, dont work your schecdule around your workouts

really?

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2011, 05:39:49 AM »

basically the It's ok to compete in sports, bodybuilding or whatver, hell its ok to eat as many goddam meals as you want, but not at the expense of the important things in life. Wanna go the extra mile with workouts for a month or 2 a year to challenge yourself? fine, but work it into your schedul, dont work your schecdule around your workouts

perfectly stated

Blockhead

• Muscleweek's H.N.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Live Loud!
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »

You see? Mike Arvilla reads that above and thinks we are NUTS!

- Block!

really?

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2011, 08:39:04 AM »

You see? Mike Arvilla reads that above and thinks we are NUTS!

- Block!

I don't know him but what a shame.

BTW Block, you and I must have had about the same awakening as I also have "no spend" days. It is amazing how much money I used to waste on bottled water, powerade (to put my BCAA powder in to avoid going catabolic), chicken sandwhichs (bun thrown away of course) because it is 3:00 and my body needs protien!, diet sodas to give me energy during "cut" phases, gum to hide the god awfull breath that comes with eating BB food every 3 hours, food that I bought in bulk to execute my new "perfect" plan(usually fish and chicken) that got thrown away the next week with my new "perfect"... the list goes on and on.

oh yea and again can't tell you the value of keeping the car clean and walking into work this morning (finally it is sunny) with nothing in my hands except a coffee and my corporate ID. No cooler full of shit that makes my breath stink and gives me gas. No more letting 10 people walk past me as i juggle my cooler, water bottle trying to get my badge out all while feeling like I am going to pass out from the waxy maize that is making me hypo.

No more trying to remember how many ounces of chicken I have left in the fridge and if I will have to find time to cook tonight which of course always came at the expense of spending time with my wife or relaxing like a normal human being.

Blockhead

• Muscleweek's H.N.I.C.
  • Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Live Loud!
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »

You know? I look back and I shiver on how douchey and impossible I was. You hit all the nails on the head. Carrying things around was always a nuisance. Having a full bladder every 40 minutes, shitting 3-4 x's a day, the fear and panic of being 20 minutes past "Meal 4" and the money I didn't have wasted on the latest "pre-workout" formula.

Thinking you were "somebody" because you had the respect from a bunch of losers, mutts and mooches (bodybuilders) and living in fantasy land totally unaware of life passing you buy because you need to bring up your hamstrings. Wow. I got sucked into that lie FLEX and MD sells you...

- Block!

Bruce Berkowitz

• Gold Member
  • Drill Baby Drill!
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »
I guess next you guys will tell me there's no Santa Clause.  :'(
The first billion is the hardest!